Virtual field trips. written by Ziyonne.
This week we have been following this Virtual field trip about Terehu Dolphins in the Bay of Islands. Virtual field trips are when you go on to a website called LEARNZ and you follow a host who takes you on a tour meeting and interviewing different people related to that topic. It has been really cool and fun to watch this trip.
Some fascinating facts that we learnt were:
- that you are only allowed to drive 5 knots on a boat around dolphins
- you are only allowed to be around a baby dolphin for 30min and adult ones for 50 minutes
- You are only allowed 3 boats around a pod of dolphins.
- People in the Bay of Islands are trying to keep pests off an island there.
- When you are about to get onto the ferry or the boat to go to the island, your belongings will be checked before you get on. The reason why is because over there it is pest free
- You can’t take your pets to the island because they will destroy the birds habitats.